Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

The 1850 Mile Pinterest Challenge - March Edition

Ok, so it is once again that time of the month....Pinterest Challenge Time.

I will admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  Mostly because March is sort of "Blah", other than St. Patrick's day, not much goes on. 

I decided to get in touch with my Irish roots and do a bit of decorating for St. Paddy's this year.

Here is the final product all set out in the living room.



First off, let me say, I was very happy with the end result.

Secondly, let me say, no one at home really seemed to notice or rave about my crafts with the appropriate amount of fanfare!

First off, I made this little guy!  It really was love at first sight when I saw him months ago.  I have made a couple other "block heads" and they just make me smile.



I went hardcore with these guys.  I made 3 of them...but by saying I went hardcore, I mean I used power tools to cut the 2 x 4 BY MY SELF!!!!  The chop saw scares the living daylights out of me, but I did decide  to craft at about 8:30 pm and Brian was pretty cozy in his undies, so I didn't want to bother him. I just let him know I was going to cut some wood.

His response "ok, just don't cut your hand off!"

That didnt' help my confidence, because that was the EXACT thing I was worried about!

I got them cut just fine with all digits in place.  Then I broke out the palm sander and smoothed the edges.  Let's talk about the palm sander for a minute here shall we? It was on loan from mom and dad.  IT'S TERRIBLE!!!!  Sorry mom and dad, but seriously!!  I am pretty sure my arm continued to vibrate for a week afterwards!

I don't really have any pictures of my progress as I went along.  That falls in line with the notion of me being a terrible crafter.  I decide to do these things around 9 at night and then feel I am under pressure for my bedtime deadline, so I just craft along and don't document it.

Anyhoo, here is my end result!  Cute huh?

Secondly, I did this.



 The subway art has been around for a bit, and I have made my own pitiful attempt to create my own, but really...why?  There are others who make them and then allow you to print them. That is what I did in this case.  And the frame?  I have 3 of these kicking around in the closest that I bought when I lived in the Yukon 11 years ago.  I have just been shuffling them about, but the barnboard look was too cute to pass up originally and I am pleased to have finally found a use for one of them.

Lastly, I used this image to inspire my last craft. 



I made mine reversible for Halloween as well, because the shape also reminded me of Witches boots.

I should also say...

Thanks to my dad for cutting out the little details out of wood.  I am not brave enough to try those yet.  I would rather risk his fingers than mine!  Plus, he's old!  He probably won't even remember how he lost them if he did!  Just kidding dad!  Love you lots and would only laugh a little if you lost a finger and I called you "gimpy"  ( disclaimer....no offence to anyone who HAS lost a finger!)

2 comments:

  1. I almost made that exact same subway art! I wonder when and if that will happen along the way? Also love that you made the witches boots reversible. Good thinkin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, you are PRODUCTIVE! And congrats on using the chop saw on your own *and* keeping all your fingers :)

    ReplyDelete