Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Getting Itchy To Decorate

Every year about this time, I start to get all itchy to start decorating for Christmas.  I have been like this for as long as I can remember.   My mom would always make me wait until the first weekend in December. 

And there were rules to follow before you could even think about getting the boxes out.

YOU HAVE TO CLEAN BEFORE YOU DECORATE! 

It was the worst rule and it is still in place to this day.  I should know, I offered to put up her tree last Sunday, but had to vacuum and mop the floors before I could.  However, I must admit, I stick to that rule before I decorate in my house. 

I can't wait to get the decorations out, but I am making myself wait until the first full weekend in December.  The main reason is because Abby's birthday is November 30 and I don't want her birthday to be overshadowed by Christmas.  Now, it's not like she would notice this year, but it's our new tradition and new habits are hard to establish.

Now that I have children, decorating brings a whole new level to the house..it's the magic on the kids faces when the house is dark and just the decorations are lit up.  I remember that excitement so clearly.  I wanted the lights on the tree plugged in for every moment of darkness.

I have quite a few decorations, but my favorite ones are the ones my mom has painted for me.  They are unique and fun looking.  They make me smile each time.

So, as the days creep closer, the excitement is starting to build....and hey, perhaps I will even take some photos and post them to show you how great the decorations are.

No comments:

Post a Comment