Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

When Pigs Fly!

Amy will catch them and turn them into Pulled Pork sandwiches for dinner!

Tonight, I made this yummy dish!  I haven't been making it that long and was only inspired after my husband was craving it and the local pork restaurant was closed for the season.

Let me tell ya....I have NO idea why I didn't start making this sooner.  It's so simple and delish!

I have had a number of people ask me for the recipe and decided to just do a blog about it...because I want to keep up on my blogging and I wanted to make you all hungry!

First off....just know that this recipe is one of those recipes...one of the ones that has no actual real ingredient list, just a bunch of stuff thrown in together.  It is also one of the 4 things I use my crock pot to make ( I have a previous post about my love/hate relationship with the crock pot)


First, assemble all the items you need.  You need a cheap cut of pork, I use the shoulder.  Also, an onion, some garlic, salt, pepper, liquid smoke and marinade.  I use clubhouse's, steakhouse mesquite marinade. The liquid smoke is optional, I have made it without and not really noticed any difference.



Place the pork in the crock pot, liberally salt and pepper both sides, rough chop an onion and a couple cloves of garlic and pour over about half a bottle of marinade.

Now personally, I like to do this the night before so that Brian can start it when he goes to work, but you could do this all the same day.   I cooked it on high and actually, it was done in about 4 hours, so by the time Brian put it on and I got up, it was ready.  I turned down the temperature and had my sitter turn it off around noon.  That will give it enough time to cool down before you pull it.  I don't see why you couldn't cook it on low overnight and pull it the next day.





The next step is messy but totally worth it.  Now you need to "pull" the meat or shred it.  The meat is so tender that it easily pulls with a fork.  Pick away any fat, you don't want that, but it makes the meat tender and juicy.  Once it's all pulled, put it back into your crock pot and add your favorite BBQ sauce.  Mine is Bullseye with Guinness.  Add as much or as little as you like.  It's a great way to finish off those bottles you have in the fridge that don't have enough to use on a regular basis but would do in a pinch.  Just add some water and pour it in.  Then just mix it all up to coat the meat.

Next, get a baking sheet and either spray it with Pam or parchment paper.  Put on some french fries and fish sticks


Wait...Hold up a second you are saying....FISH STICKS??

Yup, it's for the kiddies that won't eat pulled pork!  At the same time, put in some onion rings, because I feel they are the perfect compliment to this dish.  These are our favorites.....you make them in the oven, but still get all crispy like you have fried them


Now you need some buns.  I prefer an onion bun, but you can use your favorite.



This next step is optional, but increased the yum factor!  Make a garlic spread and put it on the buns.  Toast them in the oven like garlic bread.

Now, this is about where the pictures end.  The kids were screaming and we were all getting hungry.  My hunger took over and I forgot why I took all these other pictures.  Anyhoo, once the buns are toasted lightly, remove them from the oven, spread on some pork and a slice of cheese if you like.  I add a Havarti cheese with jalapeno peppers.  Put it back in the oven to melt the cheese.  Slice the sandwiches in half and serve with onion rings.




There you go.  PLEASE!!!  Try this just once in your life and tell me how much you love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment