Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Ginger Abuse

I had to write this post!

It has nothing to do with people who use too much ginger in their cooking.

Ginger abuse is a form of bullying directed at people with red hair.

I was watching ABC's What Would You Do on Tuesday night.  This is a great show.  I don't watch it often, but do tune in if there is nothing else to watch.  If you haven't caught it, it's a show that puts actors into real life situations involving events such as being harassed in public and then records the results of by-standers and if people step in. 

Anyway, the episode ideas all came from viewer submission and the one that caught my eye the most was from a 12 year old boy who gets picked on because of his hair colour.

Now, I come from a long line of red heads on my mom's side, and I have heard her stories of being picked on.  I can understand the being picked on part...story of my life!

Now, as a mother of a ginger boy, I could not imagine someone picking on this lovable little boy!  Granted, I am the first one to jokingly comment to people who say how cute he is that they should just wait until he is about 12, when he's pimply, gangly and looks as awkward as you can get. But I would never say that to him or make him feel bad for it.

Kids can be so cruel!  I will admit, I remember all the people who picked on me and most of the things they did or said still stick with me.  Not to say I am innocent, I did the same thing to others a time or to.  To those people I do apologize and regret it everyday.  I have had the opportunity to "clear the air" with someone who bullied me, and it was liberating! 

As a mother, I will defend my children tooth and nail!  This momma bear will come out a-roaring!  The part that also bothered me is they were talking about the show "SouthPark" and in one episode, they have a "Kick A Ginger Day", meaning kick someone with red hair!!  ARRR...I just DARE someone to kick my guy because of his hair!


Now, tell me...could you kick this?


No comments:

Post a Comment