Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It's A Mystery

The above are 3 words you never want to come out of your 4 year old's mouth.  This is Hayden's latest saying, whether it's because he is looking for a missing sock or you ask him how something happened.

My son's most recent fascination is monster trucks...ok, it's not recent, but this week, he has ramped up his pretend play.  He is the monster truck "El Toro Loco"  For those of you lucky enough not to have a 4 year old son, who is obsessed with Monster Trucks, below is the amazing "El Toro Loco"

Go to fullsize image

Now, don't get me wrong, he loves any monster truck that comes along.  But this week, El Toro has won his heart.    A few weeks ago, he had 2 empty toilet paper rolls that he used as horns.  He played Monster Jam outside with dad, and stuck the "horns" in his hat.

This is how my "mystery" for the week started.  Now, let me set the scene....every morning, Hayden is allowed to get out of bed and turn on the tv, already set to cartoons.  He is usually up around 6 and that is earlier than I would like to be up.  Most mornings I don't hear a peep from him.  Monday was not really any different, UNTIL....I got out of bed.  I walked into the kitchen and he follows in behind me.  The first words out of his mouth are "I was going getting this out of the bathroom".  I turned around and said, "getting what?"  "Just this" and he holds up an empty toilet paper roll.  The rest of the conversation went like this:

"where did you say you got that?"
"the bathroom"
"and was it in the garbage?"
"no, not in garbage"
"where was it then?" (already having a sinking feeling in my gut)
"on the back of the toilet"
"was it empty?"
"no"
"where did the toilet paper go that was on it?"
"I took it off"
"and where did you put it?"
"in the garbage"

This last was a bit of relief, I had visions of the jumbo roll we got at Costco filling up the toilet.  Seeing it was only 7:30 in the morning, I was in no mood to fish toilet paper out of the toilet before it got flushed.  He was quite upset that I took his "horn" from him and wound up a good half roll of paper out of the wastebasket.

My mystery continued this morning...this time it started with Hayden looking me in the face at 6:30 saying, "I just have this"...it was a spoon and the apple sauce.  Ok, not an odd request. He is often hungry when he gets up and finds a snack in the cupboard.  As I walk out the bedroom door, this is the site I am greeted to.

Hayden is in front of the bathroom door, standing "spread eagle" so I can't go in.  The words out of his mouth..

" I wasn't doing nothing in the bathroom"

Now, any mom knows that is code for:  I am pretty sure you will get mad at what I have done, so, let's just pretend I didn't do anything and all is good!

Ever experience Deja Vu?  I did.
"what did you do Hayden?"
"I was just getting this" (he produced an empty toilet paper roll)
"and where did the toilet paper go?"
"oh, ha ha, in the toilet"

Luckily, it went down without any trouble.  I gave up, let him have his horns.  BUT, after the sitter got to the house and I talked to her for a few minutes...I solved the mystery of the horn fascination this week.  Yesterday, he had a playdate with his other monster truck obsessed friend. While playing in the closet, they came across 4 empty toilet paper rolls (apparently, he is stock piling them).  The sitter told him they would save them for crafts.  But I think it jarred his memory that they make perfect horns to be El Toro and if he couldn't have the ones in his closet, he would just have to find some more.

Kids, gotta love them :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment